Announcing the 2019 D/K Legislative Days Agenda:
- Require rental agencies (e.g., Airbnb) to remit room taxes by municipality (currently done by zip code) and room tax collection issues related to WI Act 59.
- Increase funding for Rural Broadband Expansion grants through the Broadband Expansion Grant Program. Click here for a Map of broadband service
- Maintain the School Start date to after Labor Day.
- City of Sturgeon Bay is seeking state authority for a Premier Resort Area Tax authorization.
- Funding for county Soil and Water Conservation Department employees.
- Creative Economy:
One piece of legislation will provide $500,000 over the next two-year budget cycle to the Department of Tourism’s Arts Board to administer as creative economy grants to non-profits, businesses, local governments and business development associations. Entities will be able to request a maximum of $40,000 in funding, but they must secure matching non-state dollars in order to receive the state grant.
The second piece of Legislation would require state Department of Public Instruction to include the percentage of students participating in music, dance, drama and visual arts on the annual school and school district accountability report cards.
Purposes of Legislative Days:
- Educate state officials and legislators on Door and Kewaunee Counties and dispel the widespread misperception in Madison that we are a uniformly wealthy, problem free area; and
- Request assistance from state government that will help us address issues, projects, and opportunities that are uniquely special to Door and Kewaunee Counties.
An issue for Door Kewaunee Counties Legislative Days should fit the following criteria:
- The issue should be local, having unique implications for Door and/or Kewaunee Counties (Avoid state-wide or national issues)
- The issue must be non-controversial
- The issue exceeds our local capacity to deal with it. We need to show we have done all we can locally to resolve the issue, but some type of state action or support is needed.
Anyone may submit an issue for consideration, but there is no guarantee it will be on the agenda. The Steering Committee will have the final say.